Manage Your Business

What is a DOT audit?

The Department of Transportation conducts compliance audits to determine if a fleet is following all safety protocols as outlined by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. A DOT on-site audit evaluates a company's safety performance and confirms proper and complete recordkeeping. The review also determines if the company has adequate management controls in place to ensure FMCSR compliance. The motor carrier is responsible to know and comply with all FMCSR regulatory and recordkeeping mandates.

A DOT review is divided into six factors:

  • General
  • Driver
  • Operational
  • Vehicle
  • Hazardous Materials
  • Accidents

Each factor is reviewed and rated Satisfactory, Conditional, or Unsatisfactory. A satisfactory rating does not mean a company can relax its compliance efforts. Satisfactory simply means a company is doing the minimum the DOT expects of a carrier's safety program in that factor.

Why do you need our help?

If FMCSA determines the safety audit discloses the new entrant’s basic safety management controls are inadequate, the Agency will provide the new entrant written notice, as soon as practicable, but not later than 45 days after the completion of the safety audit, that its USDOT new entrant registration will be revoked and its operations placed out-of-service unless it takes the actions to remedy its safety management practices.

What is Drug&Alcohol Clearinghouse?

The Clearinghouse is a secure online database that gives employers, the FMCSA, State Driver Licensing Agencies (SDLAs), and State law enforcement personnel real-time information about commercial driver’s license (CDL) and commercial learner’s permit (CLP) holders’ drug and alcohol program violations. An act of Congress directed the Secretary of Transportation to establish the Clearinghouse. The Clearinghouse enables employers to identify drivers who commit a drug and alcohol program violation while working for one employer, but who fail to subsequently inform another employer (as required by current regulations).

Why do you need our help?

There are serious consequences for drivers who violate testing rules. Violating the rules can occur by failing an alcohol test; showing a positive, adulterated, or substituted drug test result; or, in the case of a federally sanctioned pre-employment test, registering a refusal once the testing procedures start. Such drivers must be removed from all safety-sensitive functions. They may not return to a safety- sensitive function until an evaluation by a substance abuse professional (SAP) has been done and the driver has complied with prescribed treatment and passes an RTD test. They are subject to at least six follow-up tests in the first 12 months after returning to duty and may be subject to follow-up testing for up to a total of five years.

What is IFTA/IRP?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) and International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) are cooperative programs to collect and distribute registration and fuel tax revenue between member states and Canadian provinces.

IRP is a cooperative agreement for registering vehicles that travel into two (2) or more jurisdictions. IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) is an agreement between member jurisdictions for the uniform collection and distribution of fuel tax revenues.

Why do you need our help?

Unlike regular vehicles, to properly register your truck and legally haul loads across state lines, you will require an IRP and IFTA account. We will guide you through the process and help you to seamlessly obtain an account.

What is commercial truck insurance?

Commercial truck insurance is a specific grouping of insurance auto policies developed to cover trucking needs. The trucking policies start with primary liability and build upon that foundation with various additional coverages. Primary liability truck insurance is often required as part of a trucking license — it protects people and property from damage caused by your truck.

If you are a driver and want to drive on your own authority, then you will need primary liability insurance. If you are an owner-operator of a trucking company, then you’ll expand your trucking insurance to include general liability, as well.

According to Trusted Choice (a group of independent insurance agents), the average cost of a commercial truck accident in the United States is $59,000 — and one in three small businesses will fold because of uninsured costs related to an accident or lawsuit. Covering yourself with the right insurance is a business-saving tactic.

Why do you need our help?

Failing to get the right insurance and filing the right paperwork can cause high expenses and even the loss of insurance in some cases. Truck Fleet Expert works with the most reliable and experienced Insurance companies that can save you time and money in the long run.

Problems with finding loads?

Whether you are an experienced owner-operator, or a newcomer there always will be times when you cannot find a load to run. And as a trucker, no loads to run means you do not make money.

Why do you need our help?

Our experts collaborate with multiple carriers and will provide you with tips and tricks on how to never have your truck sit in the parking lot.

Hiring new drivers?

As a growing or already established business, you will eventually need to hire new team members.

Why do you need our help?

Our experienced HR team will help you find a suitable fit for your company and will give you tips on what to look out for when hiring new drivers.

How can we help?

Our Business Specialists are standing by. Call us at +1 202 681 9573
or send an email to

image description